Friday, August 12, 2011

A Herb Garden

I really like the idea of becoming self sufficient especially with fresh produce. When I was first married my husband and I attempted a vege garden. Unfortunately after our labours we did not have any fruit to partake of. So here I am ready to try again and hopefully this time we'll be able to enjoy the fruits of our labours. 

I'm going to attempt a herb garden, I've heard it's meant to be pretty easy so fingers crossed we'll be able to have success. The herbs that I would like to grow is basil, coriander and oregano. All of which I like to eat and would definitely benefit from them being grown outside the kitchen. I've done some reading and all of these herbs like the sun and seem to be rather easy to cultivate. And this will make a fun activity for my son and I to enjoy as the weather warms up. I'll blog again once I get going on our herb garden but in the meantime here are some quick and interesting facts about these herbs.  

Quick Facts
Basil is widely used in cooking, it is also good for deterring those summer pests (flies- hang a fresh bunch in the kitchen or keep a bowl of it indoors; mosquitoes- burn dried basil stalks on a fire). 

Coriander is a hardy herb and great in salads, sweet and savoury dishes or as a garnish. It makes for a good insect repelling spray. Add half a bucket of leaves, flowers and stems to half a bucket of mixed herb leaves including basil and pour over this one bucket of boiling water. Stand overnight, then strain and add two cups of soap powder. 

Oregano is an essential ingredient in many Italian dishes. It has the ability to dissolve fats in the body and is a great addition to meat dishes like pork. The oils are disliked by all insects, so it is ideal to add to insect repelling sprays and works well on furniture to sweeten a room after smokers have been in it. 

As I read about these herbs I can see that we'll have a very loving relationship, I'll keep nourishing them while they keep me free from insect bites.

No comments:

Post a Comment