Sunday, August 21, 2011

Book review: The Australian's Women's Weekly Allergy-free cooking for kids

This is one of the gems I've come across recently in our local library. Actually it is thanks to Nathan & Charlie for spotting it in the new books section. It has great recipes for those with gluten, egg or diary allergies. 

The book is broken into three major sections, gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free & within each section contains sub-sections which focus around certain meals of the day: brekkie, my lunch box, after-school snacks, dinner for everyone, seriously sweet and party time. 

I am particularly interested in the gluten and egg-free sections of this book. It provides great basic recipes which turn out fantastic and they are ones that you can modify for your own needs. For example this week I made Bacon & Cheese Muffins and rather than using fresh chicken eggs I used 2 teaspoons of 'No-Egg' so that my little boy could enjoy it. And because it was so yummy even being gluten and egg free I thought why don't I make some of the rest of us with wheat flour and eggs. They turned out just as yummy. 

I recommend this book to anyone who has certain food intolerances as it will provide you with great recipes and the best thing is they are very easy to make. What I also like about this book is it gives you the ingredients and methods to make gluten-free pastry! No more guess work when learning how to cook with new types of flour and having to deal with the mess after a failed attempt. I love it when someone else has done the hard work and I can enjoy cooking food that I know will be a HIT with the boys. 


No comments:

Post a Comment